Saturday, October 22, 2016

So If I Look Sad, Remind Me To Inhale

Matthew Inman, creator of The Oatmeal, wrote in a post that creativity is like breathing. That one has to take in creativity/inspirations/ideas in order to produce new thoughts/art/projects. That one is just as important and valid as the other. Holy crap, right?! Like, how had I not recognized that correlation before?

Going a step further, I think I'm starting to recognize this antsy, panicky feeling I sometimes get--the one that makes me want to simultaneously balance my checkbook and hide in a closet--may actually be a craving to take in creativity. It feels like I'm suffocating, but not for air, for new ideas. It's like if you breathe out, all the way out, and then keep breathing out, more, push out just a little more air, from the very bottom of your lungs, hurry, keep breathing out, OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE WASTING PRECIOUS TIME, BREATHE OUT FASTER. And then I curl up in an unproductive ball of sadness and despair because I no longer have any ideas. About anything. At all.

So today, after a trip downtown to go Trick or Treating with the kids, an hour or so of checkbook balancing, and some time checking my various e-mail accounts, I'm going to go surf Pinterest, and listen to a thousand small business podcasts and maybe read a blog (or 6).

No comments:

Post a Comment