Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Getting the Hang of It

We've been in the RV for 2 weeks now, and so far, so good!

The first week and a half was pretty hectic, moving out of the rental house, storing stuff all over town, cleaning, Halloween, craigslisting, and all while trying to settle in with Baba (my mom's husband who lives here full time).

But we made it, the rental could have been left cleaner, and I have anxiety about the pile of trash we left on the curb.  But I'm trying to let go of all that since it's out of my hands now.  Jack keeps asking to "go home" when we drive near the old house--which is mildly heartbreaking--but he's fine when we aren't in that part of town, so I think maybe he just does it for entertainment.

But things are pretty copesetic otherwise....

Whew, sorry, brief interlude to sew velcro on Jack's green super hero cape. Where was I...?

Oh right, things are starting to simmer down, we are getting into a routine. Mark is up at 4:30, takes a shower and eats breakfast in Mom's house, and then he's off to work.  The kids and I get up at 6am and head inside for my shower and breakfast.  Sometimes Baba comes out and watches cartoons with the kids, sometimes he catches a ride with Mark to the coffee shop and gets home after breakfast.  By 7:30 the kids and I are in the car and taking Will to school.  Jack and I get back around 8:30 and doodle around for the day--chores, errands, super hero capes, the usual.

The afternoons go by just as fast, Mark and Will get home at 4pm, we have outside playtime, then dinner in the house with Baba.  After that is bathtime for the boys, and quiet time in the RV.  Bedtime is at 8pm and then an hour or two of web surfing for Mark and I.  It all seems pretty sustainable.

Here's my view as I sit here writing this:



It's funny how far this experience is from what I thought was our goal.  Being tucked into my mom's backyard and having sold most of our things I find myself more calm than I've been in a while.  I'm content with our position in the present and hopeful about what will come in the future.  Perhaps a new job is just around the corner, or an opportunity to move the trailer to a homestead site will appear.  Maybe Mark will get a promotion and we'll all pack up and head to Alabama, or maybe we'll spend the winter right here in this little nest.

Life feels poised for change, but instead of feeling paralyzed with anticipation I feel happy to live in the moment and take it all day by day.  Who knows, maybe someday I will look back and call this time the best of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment