Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Good Investment

Last week I had an interview mid-morning, and Mark offered to take an early lunch break to watch Jack.  The meeting was at 10:10 and I had to drop Will off at 8:00 a.m.; since stopping at home between the parent loop and the hand off didn't make much sense, Jack and I headed to the Target across the street from Mark's store to kill some time.

Jack is enamored with the $1 section in the front of the store, I think he likes the mish-mash of so many unrelated items.  As we walked around the stacks, I saw a package of lacing cards for $3.  You know the ones, made of stiff cardboard or press board, with holes around the edge to pull shoe laces though.  I picked them up immediately, thinking they might entertain Jack during my meeting.

What I didn't anticipate was the 20 minutes of silence I enjoyed in the parking lot waiting for Mark as Jack carefully laced each card.  Or the beautifully silent bed time we enjoyed last night when Will took two cards and a flashlight to bed.  Jack can sit down with 1 card and be engaged for an easy 10 minutes at a time.  Listen to me: Best $3 spent. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment