Monday, May 27, 2013

Learning to Run

1.78 on the treadmill today!!

Mark and I joined a gym last week.  After I turned in notice of my resignation from my last job, I got a little overwhelmed by the idea of staying home with the boys all day, every day.  And I stated to think about them being stuck with me constantly with no classroom style socialization. That's when I had the great idea to join a gym that offered childcare!  On top of getting the kids out of the house with other kids for a little while, it might turn getting in shape into a relief instead of a chore for me.  That hour of peace when no one is asking me for things, or touching things, or fussing for no discernible reason (Jack is 2 remember) - that time by myself to block out everyone else's needs and focus on something that I need, sounded like a really good thing.

And so it has been.  I did a yoga class last Friday, which was killer.  I totally love yoga.  And today I started Couch to 5K  using  Robert Ullrey's podcasts. The program is a jogging/walking training regimen for beginners. I had to walk through the middle run increment today, but I felt better than the last two times I started the program.

This time I hope I can stay motivated and get to 5K. Mark would really like to run some events together.  He is working to get back to where he was in high school.  His junior year he played basketball, soccer, ran cross country, and trained at the dojo.  Listen to me when I say he was very, very pretty.  Anyway, he has all that under lying conditioning, do for him it's just a matter of re-training his body.  Getting back what has been dormant.

It's a different story for me.  I was not an athlete in high school.  I trained at the dojo 3-5 times per week for a few years, but our school did not push aerobic training.  So I feel like I am starting from scratch, a brand new runner just learning how to use my body in this way.   

Like everything else though, I just have to put one foot in front of the other and try not to take it too hard if I miss a step.  I can always try again tomorrow.  


No comments:

Post a Comment